Bobby D's voice
Recently I watched an interview with Bob Dylan, where he talked about realizing early on that he was going to be who he became, towering figure, icon, that kind of thing.
It occurred to me, well, it's humanly impossible to know that, because of not knowing the future, in my opinion. What if it was really about trying to not be one among many, because intimacy is scary? That's happened to me with my poetry writing more than once.
Personally, I don't enjoy his songs, generally, unless someone else is singing them--except the ones where he actually sang melodically. Otherwise, it's just endurance, definitely worth it like when I saw him maybe 15 years ago, but not doing what music does for me, that really brings me repeatedly back to it.
But if he hadn't started that vocal style and stuck with it, would he have been iconic and would his songs have reached people?
But would he have been happier? I don't know if any performance I've seen or heard, or in any interview I've seen, he's actually seemed to be having a really good time.
That's very definitely just my own take, and it's definitely more about me than him. He's contributed immeasurably to culture, whatever his vocal style(s), and I'm grateful.

<< Home